Other than College Hall (Founders Hall), no other campus buildings existed until 1902, when Alford Auditorium, formerly a church, was donated to the College by William J. Alford in memory of his parents, Rev. and Mrs. John Alford. Alford Auditorium had been built as a Reformed Presbyterian Church and opened for use in 1853, being constructed in part of materials from area churches built previously in 1824 and 1839 and later vacated. It was renovated by the College in 1903 and was originally named Alford Gymnasium. It has since served the University in several other capacities: chapel, theatre, and with its newer annex, now functions as classrooms and faculty offices.