A Practical Guide to Personal Conditioning
School or Department
Kinesiology and Allied Health
Dates of Service
A Practical Guide to Personal Conditioning concisely and comprehensively connects the science of exercise with real-world application to sport and human performance, effectively providing readers with both the “why” and “how” behind effective exercise prescription and programming. This engaging text explores the information necessary to develop an exercise and nutrition plan specifically designed and tailored to fit their personal fitness goals. It also encourages the reader to consider the numerous factors that may impact or complicate their plan, including the physical demands of their activities, environmental factors, and nutritional requirements. Anchored in exercise science, the authors have strived to present a safe and scientific approach to exercise prescription, programming, and nutrition.
Features & Benefits
- Frequently Asked Questions boxes address basic questions about training techniques and nutrition.
- End-of-chapter Assessment and Application sections include a bulleted chapter Summary, open-ended Knowledge Check questions, and scenario-based Activities.
- A comprehensive art package presents color photographs and illustrations that properly convey techniques along with the underlying exercise physiology concepts.
- Nutritional requirements for physical activity are emphasized, with individual chapters on general nutrition concepts, sport-specific nutrition, and fad diets and supplements.
Appropriate for the introductory general fitness course focused on personal conditioning, weight training, and general principles of fitness. Including:
- Concepts of Fitness Training
- Personal Training
- Principles of Health and Fitness
- Fitness & Nutrition
Personal conditioning, exercise science, exercise physiology, assessment
Jones and Bartlett Learning
Exercise Science | Kinesiology
About the Author
Dr. Peterson is an Assistant Professor of Kinesiology at Cedarville University.
Visit Dr. Peterson's Selected Works page.
Peterson, David D. and Rittenhouse, Melissa A., "A Practical Guide to Personal Conditioning" (2018). Faculty Books. 202.