You Live Where? The Faces Behind the Places

Residence Hall

Carr Dorm

Job Position

Physical Plant Staff


image preview

Creation Date

Spring 2024


Hugh Carr was a business owner in the automotive industry in western New York and first heard of Cedarville College through the ministry of Dr. James T. Jeremiah and Hugh’s son Roy who attended Cedarville from 1956 to 1960. On one occasion in 1957 when the Cedarville College choir was on tour in New York, the bus broke down near the hometown of the Carr’s. Hugh Carr was summoned to help and, along with the bus driver, “Pop” Marshall, they were able to repair the bus and get the choir on its way. Marshall then invited Carr to join the maintenance crew at Cedarville, and after that, Dr. Jeremiah would occasionally ask him as well. Hugh Carr and his wife June finally made the decision to move to Cedarville in 1968 and join the staff. Carr was also involved in several building projects on campus including the first Science Center in 1972, and the original Marshall and Carr dormitories in 1974. Hugh Carr’s grandson, David Carr, currently serves on the Cedarville University Board of Trustees. Carr Hall, now part of “The Hill” dormitory complex, was named for Hugh in 1974.

Source: Barbara Loach, Cedarville University: Defining Legacies